Through Advisory Services, ULI works directly with local governments, private developers, community development corporations, and other organizations facing challenge land use, development, and real estate issues.
Drawing on our diverse membership – including developers, planners, financiers, market analysts, designers, economists, architects, and public officials – we provide exclusive, practical, and objective perspectives to help you meet your goals.
What kinds of services are available?
Our two most well-known services are the national Advisory Services Panel (ASP) and local Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) programs, outlined below. However, ULI Indiana can provide assistance to communities in a variety of ways. Contact us to discuss your needs and to learn more.
National Advisory Service Panels (ASPs) convene experts from across the globe to visit your community for 3-5 days. And as of 2020, virtual options are now also available.
Access to past ASP reports are now a member-only benefit available in Knowledgefinder.
If you think a national ASP might be right for you, contact ULI Indiana for a referral.
- ULI will bring an unbiased, market-based perspective to your land use/development challenge.
- Our members can tell you what kinds of development you can realistically expect, and what tools you might use to attract the development you want.
How is this different from what we’ve done before?
- Unlike lengthy planning engagements, a TAP is a brief (1-2 day) and focused (3-5 question) process.
- A TAP can be as public or private as you choose. Some communities want to draw the attention of the development community through the TAP process – more on that below. But if you want a quiet, private assessment we can do that, too.
- The TAP may include a review and assessment of previous plans, but it will not be a repeat. Instead, ULI can tell you:
- What parts of that plan are feasible?
- Where should you focus your efforts?
- What aspects of the plan may not match current market realities?
How is this different from a consulting firm?
ULI does not want to compete with consultants—they are our members and sponsors! This is different because:
- No consulting firm or team can offer the wide variety of expertise that we can access through our members.
- No consulting firm can complete their work for the price range of a TAP. ULI is a non-profit, and our members are donating their time. The price of a TAP is used as an additional revenue source for ULI Indiana to support our general overhead and events.
- Often, a TAP engagement leads to future work for consultants, and provides the needed information to develop an accurate scope/RFP.
If you want it to, a ULI TAP can help draw the attention of the development community to your community.
- Panelists will get an in-depth look at your community, meet area stakeholders, and begin to develop relationships.
- The TAP can be promoted through ULI’s website and social media channels, which will draw attention to your community. We can also work with you to develop press releases and get media coverage of the TAP, if you wish.
- The results of the TAP may be shared with a larger ULI audience (with your approval), through events or publications. In this way, others will learn about the development opportunities available in your community.
Why else might I want a TAP?
- You have some great people working on your project, but could benefit from an outside perspective.
- Through the TAP process, you might be introduced to potential opportunities or partners you might not have known otherwise, like a government funding program or investor who has been involved in similar projects.
- ULI is recognized and respected for the expertise of our members. A project that has been through a ULI TAP process may have unique development characteristics, making the project more valuable than it would have been if developed in a more conventional manner. Or you may find it easier to gain regulatory approvals and/or attract capital, as it will have the TAP report as backup or proof of concept.
Learn moreSee the TAP brochure
Interested in advisory services for your community?
Send us a note and a ULI volunteer will respond to you about the opportunity.
Interested in volunteering? Visit the “Get Involved” section below.
ULI Indiana has a goal to deliver three TAPs per year and needs volunteers to promote and organize TAPs and to be considered as potential TAP panelists.